Sunday, July 1, 2012

Raspberry Basil Scones


One thing I love about baking is pairing different flavors--sweets and savories. I enjoy coming up with odd couple ingredients and making them work.  A quick google search shows I am definitely not the first person to be inspired to try basil in a sweet bakery treat, but this is my first attempt.
Fresh Raspberries from Hoch's Orchard in La Crescent, MN and Basil from State Line Produce, IA.


To make my Raspberry Basil Scones you will need:
1 cup Fresh Raspberries
1/2 cup Fresh Basil, chopped
3 Cups of All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Natural, Unbleached Sugar
5 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Cold Butter
1 Egg, gently beaten
1 cup Buttermilk
and for a little color and texture, 1/4 cup poppy seeds, but this ingredient is totally optional
Pre-heated oven at 400 Degrees F.


First, measure out all dry ingredients into a big bowl.
All Dry Ingredients purchased from the fabulous Bulk Room at People's Food Co-op Rochester

Mix by hand gently until all the dry ingredients are well incorporated. 

Then, take the cold butter and cut it into smallish pieces dropping them into the dry mix. Use a pastry knife, fork, or your hands to cut the butter into the dry mix until it is crumbly. 
For those of you with lactose intolerance, try using soy butter and almond milk in place of the above dairy ingredients.


Next,  Pour in your raspberries and basil, and mix gently. 

Crack your egg into a measuring cup or bowl, and then measure out the cup of buttermilk. Mix both of these wet ingredients together, until just slightly blended, but not overly whipped. 
Create a whole in the center of your dry mix and pour your wet ingredients into it, and then begin to combine the mix by hand, until the dry ingredients are just moistened.  You want the dough to be sticky, and not overly worked. 

         
At this point, I suggest putting the dough into the fridge for 15 minutes to help the butter hardened up again. This will help your pastry to be fluffy and flaky in all the right ways.

Once the dough has rested in the fridge for a bit, poor out the dough onto a slightly floured surface, and gently knead it to form a big circular dough round, about an inch thick. For a sturdier scone, knead more. I want mine fluffy, so I barely kneaded them at all. 


  Cut the round into eight wedges and place on a lined baking sheet, or in my case, a casserole dish, because I still cannot find my cookie sheets from the move.  I like to top the uncooked scones with a little more sugar to give them a nice sweet coating on the outside. 
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.   Mine have come out fluffy, just like I wanted. They didn't rise quite as much as normal scones, but I think this is because it is really warm in my house (baking on the first day of July will do some weird things) and I think I accidentally turned my oven off for a few minutes in the baking process.  This is the first baking project in my new home, so figuring out the oven is part of the adventure!  
I just took my first bite, and they are amazing!!!

Enjoy!
* All Photos by Maura Henn, www.maurahennphotography.com


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Maura! Great recipe and pictures. I can't wait to make these. :)

    ReplyDelete