Thursday, July 12, 2012

Shadows and Light

I have a theory about how a house becomes a home--I think it's when you receive your first big packages in the mail to your new address.  Of course, there are lots of other ideas about this topic:  a house becomes a home when there is love inside; when a wedding takes place there; a child is born in it. Since I have not been married nor do I have children, and I think the love one is just a give in, I am going to stand by my theory and say, yes, a house is a home when you receive packages to it.

Like I did today. Two packages.

First Package: My Cowboy Studio External Flash Transmitter and Receiver for my camera arrived today. Super Yay!

Second Package: My very own copy of Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury edited by Sam Weller and Mort Castle, featuring stories by Margaret Atwood, Neil Gaiman, Audrey Niffenegger, and Joe Hill (who wrote the book Horns, which my friend Ross gave to me as a "moving from one house to another house" present--and it was a fantastic read, and I highly recommend it).

There are many other authors, and because, yes I just received this book less than 5 hours ago, I have not had a chance to read any of the stories--but I am telling you all, it is going to be good, and you really should consider a copy--Available at amazon, and those of you in La Crosse, order it from Pearl Street Books. Give those independent sellers some love.

So, I have new camera equipment and a new book. The next logical step is...a Photo-shoot!

Since my partner in crime is at work and I don't have any new friends in town yet, I had to use myself as a model, which means I rolled around in the grass, with mosquitoes and gnats buzzing in my face. The grass made me pretty itchy too, and it was fairly hot.  I did just finish working a very long day and I was feeling a little anxious about not getting enough exercise. Well, let me tell you, running out in front of your camera before the 10 second timer goes of, laying down, trying to look in some way decent, and then jumping back up, all without glasses on in 80 degree heat becomes quite a work out.  Derby Girls, think explosive squats over, and over, and over again. It is about the same thing.

My goal was to create something moody using my new light system, something that would of course create intense shadows, but would mainly showcase the book.  I had the good fortune to talk with Sam Weller about this book in March at the Gene Wolfe Gala, and I have been looking forward to its release ever since.

I saw a little while ago Sam was running a contest on his twitter for recipients of the book to showcase and promote it in a creative way--I hope others took up the challenge.  I had the idea for this photograph for couple of days ago knowing that both packages were arriving on the same day,  I thought "Genius! Photos of my new book with new camera equipment".

Now,  I know this photograph isn't A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...it is, if anything ok. What it is, is my first attempt  figuring out how to use this lighting system outside. Had I had a beautiful model/girlfriend/bestfriend/husband/wife/boyfriend to take photos of instead of myself, I think it would have come out even better...but here it is:



Pretty much what I look like after getting up to work at 6:00 am and working ten hours and then coming home to work on wedding photography.  All in all it was a pretty good day. 










1 comment:

  1. I, more than most, know it's hard to be objective when it comes to photos of yourself. However, this picture is beautiful. You always have such a gorgeous, haunted look in your photos that I've never been able to pull off. You're a fantastic model, and now you have a new workout routine! <3

    ReplyDelete