Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Self Portrait

I probably shouldn't be writing right now. I have just consumed the better half of a very strong Gin and Tonic and I am very, very tired.  However, it seems whenever I am very, very tired is when I decid to take self portraits.

I don't know why I do it.  I'm sure it has something to do with Frida Kahlo and wanting to be a different person than who I am.   I don't think I am so interesting that everyone in the world will want to look at photographs of me--it's just that I love taking photographs of people, and I have been for a very long time on my own when the creative urge strikes.   Sometimes I am frightened to look at other's work because I don't want to be too derivative of my inspirations...but the urge is usually too great and I have to shoot.   I don't think I am very photogenic, I don't think I am very pretty--but something has been bringing me back to Self Portraits for so long.

So tonight, I have created a Flickr account dedicated strictly to my self portraiture.  I welcome any who read this to follow along with the uploads.  Here is the
link:   http://www.flickr.com/photos/90353520@N06/

Although I will put my name on everyone of my photos, I have obscured the path to my self portraits because honestly I am very shy about them and how they portray me.  Something keeps bringing me back to this art form--and I think its time I stop ignoring it.






3 comments:

  1. Maura, these are beautiful, as are you. I love self-portraits, I love the stories they tell. Keep going with them! I look forward to seeing how they (and you) evolve

    Much love,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valya. I worked on more last night; I think what I enjoy the most is how one person can look so different from image to image in just one shoot.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete