Monday, September 23, 2013

Pumpkins and Ocean Mist

It's been just over a month since my last blog post--and in that month much has happened.  A huge project I have been involved in for the last year and a half has finally come to fruition.  The new People's Food Co-op of Rochester, MN opened on September 3rd--and over the last weeks I have been working long days and nights helping sculpt out a balance between service and production in the kitchen and bakery.

It has been a lot of go, go, go, coming home, falling into bed and back at it early again the next day. One of my co-workers said to me "We can do anything for a little while" and it's true we can.  This last year was the first time I had to really put aside much of my personal time to make sure deadlines were being met. I could compare this experience with time spent in college--but with semester finals the only one truly affected by the outcome is the student.  When you are involved in a completely new work project, your decisions and actions ripple through everyone involved.  I never knew I could juggle so much or push my self so hard--and I can step back and say I think things are going well.

My first weekend away since the opening happened to land to on the Autumnal Equinox--and for the first time in a long time I feel balanced.  I spent the morning reading and drinking coffee, watching squirrels and cardinals dance around my back yard.  As I sat there with the cooler air swirling around me I could swear I smelled roasting pumpkin on the air that in a moment changed to the brisk clean smell of ocean mist.

It was a good day to open windows and burn sage.  I finished a knitting project by blocking out a lace shawl that I had started in May after taking a road trip with a new friend to the sheep and wool festival in Lake Elmo, MN.

In the golden hour right before dusk I tossed around a stick for my dog and took the opportunity to photograph her in the magic light of afternoon.

One of my traditions is to honor the equinox and solstice with making a soup or stew--it is way a for me to bring foods from that time of the year together.  Last night it was barley stew with carrots, apples and late summer tomatoes.

As I completed these small tasks, I realized the Fall is my time. It is my favorite season--seeing the harvest brought in, the completion of projects--which inevitably gives rise to new beginnings.

Golden Hour Shaunka






No comments:

Post a Comment