Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Peek A Boo



Self Portrait 2004. Likely the earliest self portrait I posted on the internet. I remember taking this photo is my very small bathroom in the efficiency apartment I shared with my ex shortly after moving to Wisconsin. It was a one room apartment with a walk in closet and bathroom. The kitchen was in the bedroom, the refrigerator at the foot of the bed.
I cooked all my food on an electric stove top for an entire year. This was a change for me, as the apartment I shared in Montana had a beautiful gas stove and oven, and I had been working at a bakery for three years, enjoying on a daily basis fresh baked bread, scones, and cookies.
It was this first year of living in Wisconsin that I really began to experiment with digital photography. I hadn’t made many friends yet. I lived far from the downtown scene and I traveled by bus to my job at Goodwill. I remember this being a really lonely and confusing time—I didn’t think it would have been possible to feel homesick for a place I couldn’t wait to get away from, but that first year of living in Wisconsin and into the next year and a half I struggled with depression, even seeking medical attention and counseling for a time.
If I hadn’t had online communities like livejournal and deviantart to go to, I am not sure what would have happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment